FURNITURE

My blog is of my creations, My furniture, using wood I have collected from here and there, occasionally buying some to make up the difference.
My design is often based around what I have available.
Comments welcome, thanks for your visit.

My Trade Mark

My Trade Mark
I'm into diamonds

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Doing not much

I decided I had been too intense and needed to slow down, you know, take a walk, smell the roses,veg out and sleep in.
Then I look at the blog and think, I haven't been up to much recently and don't remember smelling the roses.
I stood and watched my other half knitting yet another hat and realised someone had been up to much, she tells me there are more and that 3 have found other heads to keep warm, I put them on the table to photo and couldn't resist including the compass point I put into the table years ago.
Back to the hats, I have become guardian of the black one as I like the patten, the patten is different on each one which is incredible clever I think as she has not had knitting needles in her hands for so long, and they feel just nice to hold. 




Then I realised I had been up to something.


The house has only ever had a shop bought number stuck on the letter box that at times we have colored up again with a felt tip pen so it became time to let the world know where number 16 is.
I cut the number about 3mm into the board of exterior ply using a router free hand, I had looked at fonts and decided on this one as I think it is informal.
I painted the groove first as it was then easy to roller on the lighter color last.
I have to dig a hole for a post as I intend to use the number to help hold up my rather wobbly letter box.





And there are lots of hats to keep number 16 warm during those long cold nights at the bottom of the drive.




3 comments:

  1. Most impressed with your number 16. Working with a router on that huge scale must be quite an adventure, I can imagine all sorts of "flourishes" could occure if the driver's attention was distracted!

    Love the hats, the black one is very stylish, and I think that the purple with salmon pink band would add a spring to the step and a great deal of cheer!

    I wonder if you are being battered by the windy weather that we had through the latter part of yesterday afternoon and into the night? We were without power for quite a few hours, and a truck was blown over a few miles south of us. Quite nice again here this morning, so I must go for a walk and see if any trees are down.
    Best Wishes, P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter
    I found it a little tedious when routering out the number and did loose concentration luckily the slip is not noticeable, so if you don't tell anyone I won't, then no one will know.
    All the hats have now gone to good homes but the black one, there is a white mate for it still on its needles in front of me as I write and I expect there will be more to come.
    The wind here is building today and they say rain tomorrow, if only your photos could make your weather look as good as you do with your scenery.
    How is your back now? knowing how fragile we can be and what you have been going through keeps me on the floor each morning doing a little routine of stretches I have worked out is good for me but I know if I were to stop and the back gets cold I too would be down and out and I have been there all too often, I do hope you get right cos' its not nice being out of action.
    Very nice to hear from you Peter.
    Regards Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob,
    Happy to report that I am making a careful return to the studio. A little bit of work on the wheel with modest weights of clay on a fairly regular basis. I am definitely improving and managing a lot more now than even 2 or 3 weeks ago. I am working with porcelain most of the time now, and it seems to suit my slower speed and more considered output! Have you been watching the America's Cup? I am very caught up with it all at the moment. I wonder if the "city fathers" are starting to panic, or are merry at the thought of its possible return to Auckland!
    Best Wishes,

    Peter

    ReplyDelete