I was given some demolition timber taken from an house built when
rimu was used as studs
I was wondering what to make from it, after talking with an owner of a furniture shop bar stools seeded a good idea, I enjoyed the idea I could use the wood lathe for part of the machining and tried some techniques I had not used before, I decided the first one was too high so the other 4 have become shorter by 20mm and the seat has become wider, the hollow in the seat was created on the lathe and the scallops for the legs on the table saw, I still have one stool to assemble.
I started to weigh some bowls I had rough turned and left in paper bags to dry they weighed more than they did in February so I set about
finished product, the larger white one (Tawa) had a lot of drying cracks on the outside that I managed to cut away there was still one small split so I created feet so I could eliminate the crack, I liked the feet so I did them again on the smaller one, I have a sorby texturing tool that rarely gets used so after a little experimentation I got a result I liked around the edge and wiped a little stain into it to highlight the lines, I gave the stain the night to dry and turned some small shoulders to make the pattern stand out, now I was enthused and picked up the red
They are for sale contact can be made through the blog.