FURNITURE

My blog is of my creations, My furniture, using wood I have collected from here and there, occasionally buying some to make up the difference.
My design is often based around what I have available.
Comments welcome, thanks for your visit.

My Trade Mark

My Trade Mark
I'm into diamonds

Saturday, August 18, 2018

I've been turning wood

I was given a lump of Japanese Walnut that has been stored inside for years so was bone dry and covered in dust making it difficult to see what I had been given, I could see some splits in the wood so cut off that end a put it on the lathe this bowl is 200mm wide and 70mm high this size enabled me to take a small bowl out of the inside.
The colours are some of the best I have ever seen in wood, someone saying a galactic scene.
I did glue up the cracks but it was easy to turn and is very light given its size, I have a piece that will give me 2 more bowls so now I look forward to seeing what that reveals.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bob,
    Really lovely bowl, and exceptional Walnut. It must have been a bit nightmarish turning it with the grain going all over the place and you have done a terrific job! Best Wishes from us down in the Old Post Office!
    Peter and Laura :-)

    ReplyDelete