FURNITURE

My blog is of my creations, My furniture, using wood I have collected from here and there, occasionally buying some to make up the difference.
My design is often based around what I have available.
Comments welcome, thanks for your visit.

My Trade Mark

My Trade Mark
I'm into diamonds

Sunday, April 11, 2021

All Native Chair Finished

 I have finished the second chair and I am well pleased that I have done what I set out to do.

I have changed the joint at the back of the arm rest into the back leg with what I think is a more attractive and stronger joint I also kept it more square which I think blends better with the back legs.

At the top of the back legs I have made a softer looking radius that is in keeping with the radius on the inside.

The back braces are made of Tawa so are a stronger wood than the previous chair this made me more comfortable shaping the top of the back braces as per the instructions, the  shape lends a whole new look and being in a contrasting wood just adds to the beauty, I also managed to coordinate some of the spalting in the Tawa into a pattern looking from the back of the chair.

The rockers are also spalted Tawa with a single lamination of Matai, so we have three native woods Rimu, Tawa and Matai.

I started with a board of 50mm Rimu that the legs, seat and head rest came from this has given me a seat that is thinner than I would have liked, I also made a slight upwards roll on the front edge so that looking from the front the seat has a very fine look.

The arms and front legs have been recycled from an old house that at some time had been on fire I know this because some of the wood had charcoal on the outside and there is still evidence of nail holes that I could not eliminate altogether.

The finish is Osmo Oil.




No comments:

Post a Comment