FURNITURE

My blog is of my creations, My furniture, using wood I have collected from here and there, occasionally buying some to make up the difference.
My design is often based around what I have available.
Comments welcome, thanks for your visit.

My Trade Mark

My Trade Mark
I'm into diamonds

Thursday, July 8, 2021

Rewarewa Rocking Chair Finished

 Funny how all the sanding and dust is so easily forgotten, how all the thoughts of is this or that correct, because I had so very little wood to play with and I had to go looking for more I at one point thought I may have to make it more 2 tone, as it is the back braces are laminated from rimu on both faces and tawa on the inside.

The rockers are laminated from rimu, tawa and rewarewa, I made the effort to position the laminates for the best effect, I am well pleased with the end result.

There are a few differences from the previous 2 chairs, the top of the back legs was kept thicker in the initial stage and now flow down from the head rest without interruption, the outer edge of the arm rest has a more swept up look that leads into a better scallop at the back of the arm rest, the seat was molded in a different way and has resulted in a more comfortable supportive feel, the piece of wood the seat came from was very thick so from the side view looks to be substantial at the front I had to remove wood from the underside and I was able to achieve a good looking roll where the side blends into the front.  the front legs were cut out of one piece of wood so there is no joint in the wood as there is in most of this style of chair.

Again the finish is Osmo oil, it has resulted in the rewarewa and the rimu looking very much the same colour and while the tawa is white it does not add the contrast that I thought it would, this is wood and there is always the unknown.






No comments:

Post a Comment