FURNITURE

My blog is of my creations, My furniture, using wood I have collected from here and there, occasionally buying some to make up the difference.
My design is often based around what I have available.
Comments welcome, thanks for your visit.

My Trade Mark

My Trade Mark
I'm into diamonds

Sunday, August 2, 2015

A floor a door and fancy bits

A lifetime ambition has been to use a floor sander, it finally happened, they said it was easy to grind holes in the floor but I thought I had done well and achieved a good finish that was till I put the polyurethane on it, now I think it looks better than it did before it was sanded I think in this photo it has had one coat of polyurethane and is a bit furry due to using a cheap roller, I put in 2 hours of hand sanding and after the second coat it is so much better I did use a better roller the second time, most of the floor will be covered with either bed, rugs or furniture so the hollows I created
will mostly be covered up, I like the look of the door threshold as a break between floor and carpet it also covers up many nail holes from carpet being fitted, I had the door frame pre painted with 2 undercoats and the door is totally finished so it was just an hour and a half to get it fixed in place with knobs on I now need another rare earth magnet so I don't need to drill big holes in the door.
I came across a large curved cedar beam on our local auction web site and won the auction so today we drove down country to pick it up, at over 4 and a half meters long its as long as the car but being cedar it is light to carry, I have half a plan to use it over the back door to give us some rain protection as we step outside.
The inlayed post I showed 2 posts ago have had some attention and now have feet and hats, there will be 2 posts as part of the wardrobe and each post will have one of these at the top and one at the bottom, these blocks are about 90mm wide and 60mm deep, the colour is a bit pale but will be better with some polyurethane on them, I will get better photos very soon of these.
 

1 comment: