FURNITURE

My blog is of my creations, My furniture, using wood I have collected from here and there, occasionally buying some to make up the difference.
My design is often based around what I have available.
Comments welcome, thanks for your visit.

My Trade Mark

My Trade Mark
I'm into diamonds

Friday, May 17, 2019

A new project

I sold the 2 pieces in the last post and am pleased with the response I have had at the local market, the markets are quiet during our winter and I need something to do.
Last year I entered a wood work exhibition with 5 of my turned bowl, I won a second prize, the people around me were saying I should enter some furniture I have made, the rules stipulate entries need to be made in the year of entry, I need a chest of drawers for my bedroom, I have some veneer that is asking to be put to good use, I wanted to have another go at making the inlay I put in the legs here.
I made a block of the inlay in January but I was not happy with the result so I have remade it then glued it to the legs.
I made the panels that will be the ends to the unit, Its a pattern I have used before, this time its a double so the pattern is 2 high and made using a mahogany that is 3mm thick, its a course grain so I am using an oil on it that will leave the features of the grain showing, these panels are about 700mm high and 350 wide the veneer is glued to a 12mm MDF later I vacuum pressed it onto a 9mm ply so the MDF is not seen and I have thickness to fix the drawer sides to.
The whole unit is over 1300mm long it will be 2 drawer wide in the bottom 2/3 and 2 drawers high then the top 1/3 will be 3 drawers wide so 7 drawers in all each drawer being about 200mm high the fronts will be round.
I was given a piece of tree trunk 2 years ago that turned out to be Japanese cedar I had chain sawed it up expecting to turn it into bowls, I had it drying and it was still big enough to be used for the drawer sides so the plan is to leave the wood natural with the hope the smell will be there every time I open the drawers the bottom of the drawers will be bamboo ply.
At the moment I have no idea what I will do with the top only that the inlay going down the legs will continue around the edge of the top.
The wood show is held during September so I would like to have this finished by the end of August, its a big project and I have a long way to go.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment