FURNITURE

My blog is of my creations, My furniture, using wood I have collected from here and there, occasionally buying some to make up the difference.
My design is often based around what I have available.
Comments welcome, thanks for your visit.

My Trade Mark

My Trade Mark
I'm into diamonds

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Don't attempt this

I say "don't attempt this" because its not easy, I thought when I started cutting up this wood and making the table top it was a challenge, I wanted to save as much of the good wood as I could which is why the top has all those curved joints, it turned out very well and I was pleased I had made such an effort.
The idea for the legs came to me without giving much thought to what was involved, I did know what was involved because I have done something similar before, however I have found it to be a challenge, it has been good it has soaked up every moment of the 7 week lock down we have been through so for me I did not suffer in anyway from the lock down, the best part is I have only used 1/4 of a tank of petrol in the car since before we went into level 4.
This joint is what has kept me most entertained, this joint 4 times as there is one on each leg, also where the leg joins onto the table top, and in the picture the table is up side down.
The table is made so it can be dismantled this makes it easy for me to deliver it and should the owners ever move house they can get it out of the house, the table being one meter wide could be a problem getting it out of the doors.

All of the parts are now made, and have been assembled while up side down, the top is too heavy to be moving it about, yesterday I spent coating the legs and rails with Osmo oil but the over night temperatures were low and it did not dry so today I had the parts sat in the sun for a while.


The Osmo oil has brought the colours out of the wood and the contrast is more obvious, the Osmo coating only needs 2 coats so the end of building this table is very close then all the difficulties will be just a memories if I care to think back.



2 comments:

  1. But you have learnt from coping with those difficulties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its in my nature to help others, your right, I will change the heading to Have a Go, and learn what I did.
      Its all good fun, mostly when its over and I can look back.

      Delete