FURNITURE

My blog is of my creations, My furniture, using wood I have collected from here and there, occasionally buying some to make up the difference.
My design is often based around what I have available.
Comments welcome, thanks for your visit.

My Trade Mark

My Trade Mark
I'm into diamonds

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Good things take time

Its only been 2 weeks since I finished the top and started work on the legs and rails, the legs I had made before the kauri arrived and here I show what I hope to do on the legs eventual.
I now have some rails made that will span between the legs and some of the skins that will cover both the legs and the rails, the 2 rails will be covered with macrocarpa, this picture shows me laminating 10 pieces of 3.5mm thick together, I thought that if I used PVA glue it would take too long to get the glue on the 9 pieces and in the jig and it would have started to cure so my only option was to use epoxy glue that has a much longer open life, the epoxy shows a line more than PVA would have done but I thought it would enhance the look of the laminated curve, this piece is 40mm thick and will be cut into 4 of 7mm thick then glued onto the top and bottom of the rails.
Its a long slow process but now I look at the dates its only been 2 weeks, during that time I have put feet on the legs so the ply is unseen also I made some tops for the legs that will have a dowel sit in them to locate the top, I have cut some mortice holes that I got wrong and am now in the process of remaking, the tenons are made that will take the wedges, the wedges shown here are a temporary wedge and the final one will be much different.
The last photo shows me trimming off the excess wood after I had glued on the 2 sides of the legs, I have a toy shaper that is ideal for this kind of work.





   



2 comments:

  1. Elegant.
    Sometimes you want to show the lines of construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked to have laminated sides to the legs like I have done on the rail but a lack of wood supplied or should I say the wood I have left we want to use else where, so I make decisions and have no regrets.
      Thanks for your comment gz.
      How is your spring?

      Delete