FURNITURE

My blog is of my creations, My furniture, using wood I have collected from here and there, occasionally buying some to make up the difference.
My design is often based around what I have available.
Comments welcome, thanks for your visit.

My Trade Mark

My Trade Mark
I'm into diamonds

Friday, April 3, 2020

The colours of bog kauri

I now have all those shapes glued together and the 2 long boarders, it has been a slow process, once I had worked out the method or maybe that is I worked out how to do this with the tools I have, a band saw could have been useful but then again the wood is heavy and it would have been difficult to manage these long pieced through a band saw on my own, my main tools have been a router and a jig saw for cutting those wavy lines, I do have a table saw a buzzer and a thicknesser all good machines for cutting straight lines.
The 2 outer straight pieces are a different colour so I would guess that they have not sat in a bog for years they are a very rich colour darker than a lot of kauri I have seen, the colours have been accentuated because I gave the whole top a wipe with water after I wiped off the excess glue 5 minuets later the top had dried and the colour was very different.
Now I only have the 2 ends to make and glue on this is going to take a little longer as it is going to involve some curves.


5 comments:

  1. Hi, via Peter's blog...that is beautiful wood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am privileged to be trusted to use it, thanks for the comment.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Agreed, such a privilege.
      Nice to meet you ...well as well as we can, virtually!

      Delete
  2. Such lovely timber, it is delightful to see it come to life in your skillful hands! I have sometimes wondered what the wood from the Pureora buried forest would be like if cut and carefully polished, some of it had the look of being able to be made use of, even after 2000 years under pumice from the last Taupo eruption. Very Best Wishes to you from us in the South Island!
    P & L

    ReplyDelete