FURNITURE

My blog is of my creations, My furniture, using wood I have collected from here and there, occasionally buying some to make up the difference.
My design is often based around what I have available.
Comments welcome, thanks for your visit.

My Trade Mark

My Trade Mark
I'm into diamonds

Saturday, January 16, 2021

New Project

 I have been gathering wood and wondering what to do with it, the wood turning I do is too hard to sell not that a rocking chair is going to be easy however at the moment there is no intention to sell I would like one in the house, this chair is made from macrocarpa and in a previous life it was a park bench and had become very weathered, dirty with lots of splits and cracks so what I can rescue is is only a small part, this type of chair creates a lot of waste wood and is better suited to a harder type of wood however for a first time following some instructions it is a good exerciser before I get into a higher valued timber.

This is a take off of the Sam Maloof chair that was first made in the 1950s, then Hal Taylor took Sams look and developed it over a long time before making plans available for sale, so it is Hal Taylor drawing that I have bought and am following.



The plans lay it all out in detail, made for those with less experience, it is still a challenge and a good one to work through, the top picture is taken with the back braces just stood in place, the legs are just pushed into the joint and the whole thing is just sat on the rockers, it still needs some packers making that lifts the chair higher and are positioned on the bottom of the legs, there are also arm rests that need making and are quite a feature of the finished chair, all the corners have a big radius on them so the look is very slender and different to what is seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment