FURNITURE

My blog is of my creations, My furniture, using wood I have collected from here and there, occasionally buying some to make up the difference.
My design is often based around what I have available.
Comments welcome, thanks for your visit.

My Trade Mark

My Trade Mark
I'm into diamonds

Saturday, July 4, 2015

New Walls

The fire place has gone and there is a gap in the wall, some of the wall studs are bent and twisted and not going to give a good finish to new gib board so it has to be a new wall, I temporarily prop the ceiling and take out the old wall before building a new one as shown, here you can see some of the bedroom wardrobe wall still in place as I thought it was holding up that ceiling and the roof, this wall is a brace wall so will be lined with a bracing gib board, the 2  panels are to take the wall lights we had thought picture lights and
hang a picture underneath but changed that idea so may now hang a picture between the lights, there is the problem of covering up the hole in the floor and decided that we will always carpet this room so a bit of tanalised ply will fill the hole.
The wall of the bedroom wardrobe was built from rough sawn 75 X 50mm and while some was bent some was quite straight but all full of big knots I decided to try straighten it and glue up new studs with the hope of getting 90 X 45mm I was successful and managed to make 12 studs over 2 days which is not economical when I could buy a 3m length or LVL for $17 but the satisfaction was in using it and not burning it, so here we have a new bedroom / hall wall again a brace wall so sheeted with gib brace, I now have all the bent twisted studs from this wall and the other so again I will glue up some laminated straight ones and replace the wall on the right of the photo, then there will be only one internal wall in the whole house I have not replaced, the exterior walls are bent but I cannot see myself replacing any of them.
The floor in this room is Tawa and we think worth exposing so we will put effort into making it look good and varnish it then enjoy its honey golden glow that I have come to enjoy whenever I use the bathroom.
Ceilings are looming on the horizon, bedroom and hallway are due for replacing soon.   

No comments:

Post a Comment